Can You Beelieve it?
September is National Honey Month! While wasps, yellow jackets, and carpenter bees are pests that pose significant health and structural threats, honeybees are an extremely important part of our ecosystem. Here are some amazing facts about honeybees:
- Honeybees are pollinators, visiting 50 - 100 flowers during a single collection trip
- Only worker bees sting and are unlikely to unless they feel threatened
- Honeybees communicate through dancing, where they tell each other distance, angles in relation to the sun, and time. (Find out more here: http://insects.about.com/od/antsbeeswasps/p/honeybeecommun.htm )
- At it’s peak, a hive can contain up to 60,000 bees!
- They are the only insect that produces food eaten by man (and it’s delicious!)
Unfortunately, in recent years, the honeybee populations around the world have been declining. While scientists attempt to figure out all of the factors contributing to this decline, we can do our part to insure that honeybees are kept safe. Pest Czar does not remove honeybee swarms or hives, but there are many beekeepers (or, “beeks” as they like to call themselves) who are willing to safely and effectively remove and relocate a hive for you. You can find one of these beeks here: http://www.centralmarylandbees.org/
If you are experiencing any issues with wasps, carpenter bees, or yellow jackets, give us a call!
Share your favorite bee-related fact in the comments.