This time of year, little black ants can be a big issue. Ants are quite amazing creatures that rely on their senses, instincts and strength to survive. Here are some facts to help you understand ants:
- Ants can enter your home through even the tiniest cracks and are particularly attracted to water, sweets, and greasy substances. Make sure you keep your kitchen tidy. Wipe your counter surfaces, sweep, and mop!
- Ants leave an invisible pheromone trail so others can find and carry any found food. This trail is so potent that even mopping your floor may not be enough to eliminate it.
- Ants can nest in many areas, outside or inside your structure.
- Colonies can number up to 500,000, with worker ants living up to seven years, and the queen living up to 15 years!
- While it’s impossible to fight a whole colony of ants on your own, pest control experts can eliminate your ant problem by using methods to destroy the queen, and hence the colony. If you try treating the problem yourself, you likely are only treating the ants you see, which guarantees ants will be back.