Spiders are an essential part of the ecological food chain, and having them around is incredibly beneficial. That doesn’t mean anyone wants spiders in their home or walk into a web while on their property.
There are over 40,000 species of spiders found worldwide, with several hundred living in Maryland. Most of the common house spiders found in Annapolis are harmless and not aggressive, but there are a few that you don’t want biting you. Learn more about the spiders in Annapolis and how the Annapolis pest control professionals at Pest Czar can help!
Types Of Spiders In Annapolis
Of all the spider species, these five are the most common ones that we see in and around Annapolis homes:
- Crab Spiders: These tiny arachnids are not known to bite humans but have venom that subdues their prey, other insects they find in the garden.
- Jumping Spiders: Also not known for biting humans, jumping spiders have been described as fuzzy and muppet-like. They are anti-social and can be removed individually from your yard or home. You can typically find them hanging around windows searching for flies and other small insects.
- Orb Weaver Garden Spiders: Mostly seen in your yard in late summer and fall, these large black and orange or yellow spiders do their part catching all types of insects. They only bite when seriously provoked and are not considered dangerous to humans.
- Wolf Spiders: While these species eat other pests, these lone wolves can be quite aggressive and will bite if you try to handle them. Although their bites hurt, they are not dangerous. They will come inside in the fall to escape cold weather.
- Black Widow Spiders: These are Maryland’s most common and most dangerous spiders to humans. Black widow spiders are typically found outside your home, hiding in dark corners. They are not aggressive but will bite if they feel threatened. Their potent venom is more dangerous to children and older adults, but no one should leave a black widow bite untreated.
Our highly trained experts at Pest Czar will recognize all spiders from this list and many more, so if you see spiders around your home or property, contact pest control in Annapolis for safe removal.
Are Spiders Dangerous Enough To Kill People
Even though many of the various spiders in Annapolis are venomous, the only one dangerous to humans is the black widow. The other spiders either have venom specifically adapted to paralyzing their prey or don’t have enough venom to affect humans. Children and older adults need to be extra cautious, especially when a black widow is involved.
Bites from black widows typically result in painful swelling around the bite site. You may also experience muscle spasms, cramps, nausea, and body aches. Immediately wash the area with soap and water and apply an ice pack. See a doctor and reduce complications and follow all instructions.
Five Natural Spider Prevention Tips
The best way to get rid of spiders is with routine pest control services, but there are a few ways to get rid of spiders naturally or keep them at bay in between pest control visits.
- Maintain a clean home. Regular vacuuming, dusting and wiping down surfaces remove spiders, webs, and egg sacs from your home.
- Secure all windows with fitted screens and doors with weather strips.
- Seal the cracks and crevices in your home’s foundation.
- There are plants, and essential oils spiders hate that you can plant or spray around the perimeter of your home, including lavender, lemongrass, mint, and eucalyptus.
- Put sticky glue traps around your home in areas where spiders like to hide, such as basements, carports, kitchens, and bathrooms.
Keeping your home spider-free can be challenging but manageable with routine pest control from the Pest Czar professionals.
The Best Way To Keep Spiders Away
Since there are many different kinds of spiders in Annapolis, the best way to eliminate them from your property is with our professionals from Pest Czar. Their experience enables them to identify, remove, and prevent a re-infestation. Call today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services, and to set up an inspection.