Baltimore has plenty of sites that attract locals and visitors to tour their spectacular city. Multiple museums, the National Aquarium, Maryland Zoo, and Maryland Science Center are sure to keep you busy for days. The incredible structures in Baltimore also attract a very destructive pest. Termites love wood, and whether it is an old or new building, they can begin to chew their way through some of the loveliest buildings in the city.
What Everyone Ought To Know About Termites
Of all the termite species, subterranean termites cause the most damage. Property owners should note the different divisions within the subterranean termite castes as they have distinct stages of growth and development.
Subterranean castes include the following stages:
- Reproductives: These include the king, queen, and alates. They are vital to a colony's growth. The queen is larger than the significantly smaller king. Alates, sometimes called swarmers, are about ¼ inch to ½ inches long with dark brown to an almost black body. They have translucent, slightly milky-colored wings with barely visible hairs and are responsible for branching out and creating new colonies.
- Workers: This group is wingless and has a cream-colored body that measures about ¼ inch or less. Their small jaws move materials and chew away wood.
- Soldiers: This group is wingless, has a creamy white color; and has a flat but wide body. While they look similar to workers, a soldier's head is darker and brownish. This rectangular-shaped head has a larger mandible.
Subterranean termites can seriously damage the structure of a building with their saw-toothed jaws. Their meals include wood and other products made of cellulose like cardboard, fiberboard, and paper. They are masters at destruction - chewing through structural timbers, furniture, wood products, crates, pallets, and furniture. Even lead and plastic-covered electric cables are not safe from termites. Their damage can be so extensive that it can cause electrical system failures. If allowed to feed on your property unabated, they can cause critical damage to the structure of a building to the point of total collapse. Every year termites cause damage totaling over five billion dollars, and this destruction is usually not covered by insurance.
Five Signs Of Termite Infestation In The Baltimore Area
Infestations can happen inside or outside of a structure. There are multiple signs that property owners can watch out for that will indicate the presence of termites.
The top five of these signs include:
- Piles of feces that looks like sawdust
- Clicking noises inside walls
- Warped or tight-fitting doors and windows
- Uneven or bubbling paint
- Discarded wings near doors or on windowsills
If you notice these or other signs around your Baltimore property, there's no time to waste - call the experts at Pest Czar for fast and effective removal.
How To Keep Termites Away From Your Baltimore Property
Before property owners begin to find signs of termite infestation, they can institute proactive steps for prevention. Quick and easy prevention measures can head off problems before they start.
Steps to termite prevention include:
- Avoid water accumulation near the property foundation.
- Divert water away from your structure with downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
- Properly ventilate crawl spaces.
- Seal cracks and crevices in the foundation.
- Store wood off the ground.
- Keep a gap between the soil and wooden portions of a structure.
These steps will help but the most effective way to prevent termites in your Baltimore property is to contact Pest Czar for professional protection.
Get Rid Of Your Termite Worries Once And For All
If you see signs of termite infestation, do not waste time! Quick removal is vital. Pest Czar offers solution-oriented and environmentally friendly approaches to pest management. We guarantee to keep your home or business completely pest-free. Call the professionals at Pest Czar today for a free, no-obligation quote.