Are you looking for a city to explore? Baltimore boasts that it will spark your spirit of adventure. It is said to be a city for artists, dreamers, and explorers. All are invited to leisurely wander through our eclectic neighborhoods to awaken senses and inspire new thinking. Ants also have this sense of adventure and desire to explore. If Baltimore residents are not careful, they might find these tiny explorers checking out their property.
Here’s A Quick Way To Spot Ants On Your Baltimore Property
There are two common species of ants in the Baltimore area. Identifying ant species and their behavior patterns can help you quickly fight your ant infestation problem.
Odorous house ants range from 1/16 to 1/8 inches long and are typically brown or black. They have a segmented oval body, six legs, and antennae. They get their name from the strong, rotten coconut-like smell they give off when crushed. Odorous ants are often found outside under mulch, stones, firewood, and in bare soil. When indoors, they will nest near hot water pipes, in wall voids, and beneath leaky fixtures.
Pavement ants grow to be about 1/8 inches long and are dark brown to black. They also have an oval segmented body, six legs, and antennae. They get their name from their habit of making nests outside in or under cracks in the pavement, patios, and sidewalks. When inside, they head under floors, into insulation, or within walls.
Why It Is Hard To Get Rid Of Ants
Ants are everywhere! No matter where you live, you will at some point come in contact with them. The key is keeping them from making your home into their home. Colony sizes can range from moderate (a few 100) to numerous (over 10,000). Because these ants can hide in hard-to-reach areas, they can be tough to locate. Over-the-counter sprays and traps are plentiful; however, spot treating merely takes care of ants temporarily. Another downside to sprays and traps is the health issues they can pose to people and our pets.
What Baltimore Residents Ought To Know About Pest Czar
At Pest Czar, our mission is to provide the highest level of safe, effective pest control services to the community while being fair to our customers, employees, and the environment. We offer multi-level approaches to pest control that can help eradicate and prevent pest problems.
Levels of protection are as follows:
- Czar Guard Basic: Outdoor pest control featuring quarterly service visits and protection from 15+ common household invading pests. This plan also comes with access to our online customer portal and our guarantee that if your pest problem comes back – so do we!
- Czar Guard: Outdoor and indoor pest prevention. This plan includes Czar Guard Basic services and Integrated Pest Management (IPM); this means we do not rely on automatic treatments. We will monitor, treat, and evaluate pest problems to keep them under control.
- Czar Guard Plus: This includes everything in our Czar Guard plan, as well as pest protection your way! We will cover specialty pests (depending on your needs) such as fleas, bed bugs, carpet beetles, carpenter bees, carpenter ants, moths, and even snake removal. For a discounted price, customers can add optional termite control and mosquito yard spray.
No matter what level of pest protection your Baltimore home is in need of, Pest Czar has a plan for you!
How To Prevent Ants From Entering Your Baltimore Home
Ants are always looking for food and moisture. Prevention can be remarkably challenging, but there are some steps property owners can take to deter ants.
Some helpful preventative measures include:
- Trim tree branches and bushes.
- Clean up yard debris.
- Seal cracks and small openings around the foundation and rooflines.
- Eliminate sources of excess moisture and standing water.
- Keep eating areas inside and outside clean.
- Make sure all garbage bins have tight-fitting lids.
And remember, the number one way to prevent ants on your Baltimore property is with help from the professionals at Pest Czar. Call today to learn more about our ant control and prevention services.