When thinking about unsanitary pests in Baltimore, Maryland, species such as cockroaches are likely to spring to mind. However, while cockroaches are definitely unsanitary, they are also much more dangerous than many people realize. These creepy crawlers can spread up to 35 different diseases such as salmonella, dysentery, and gastroenteritis. They often contaminate food items, too, and this means they can easily spread pathogens to people.
Because cockroaches are so dangerous, knowing how to keep them out of your home is key. They are much easier to prevent than they are to remove, and this way, you can avoid putting yourself and others at risk.
What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
There are a handful of cockroach species that are common in Baltimore, and they all look slightly different. Here is how to identify them:
- German cockroach: This is the most prevalent species in the United States. They are a tan color with two black stripes running parallel behind their heads. They are around 1/2 an inch long.
- American cockroach: These roaches can grow up to three inches long which makes them the largest species in the country. They are a reddish-brown color.
- Oriental cockroaches: This species is jet black and has a shiny, beetle-like appearance. They can reach up to an inch in length.
How To Clean To Prevent Cockroaches
To keep cockroaches out, focusing on good cleaning habits is essential. So, to start with, you should deep clean around the home. Roaches love clutter, and they can survive off even the smallest of crumbs, so keeping kitchen areas clean is especially important.
Here are some deep cleaning measures to follow:
- Clean forgotten places such as under heavy appliances and in the back of cupboards.
- Make sure that pet food is stored in airtight containers. Also, store products such as grains, cereals, flours, and sugars in sealed containers that roaches can’t get inside.
- Regularly clean the inside of fridges and rotate food items in pantries.
- Get rid of excess clutter around your home and in the yard.
- Focus on cleaning up sheds, garages, and other outbuildings.
- Implement a cleaning schedule that includes sweeping and mopping floors, doing dirty dishes, and taking out the trash.
Five More Cockroach Prevention Measures
While deep cleaning can go a long way in keeping cockroaches out, there are a few more steps to take to make it more difficult for roaches to come inside. Here are five more measures to follow:
- Seal up holes and cracks in the walls and foundation of your home. You can use caulk and foam insulation.
- Repair broken screens in doors and windows.
- Install weather stripping and door sweeps throughout your home.
- Address moisture problems around the property. You can install dehumidifiers in particularly humid rooms and fix any leaky pipes or faucets.
- Seek residential pest assistance for ongoing prevention.
Cockroach Control Throughout The Year
Because cockroaches are so potentially dangerous, doing what you can to keep them away is important. The best way to prevent and remove cockroaches from your home is with assistance from Pest Czar. Our team will eradicate any current roaches and work with you to create a customized plan for future pest control.
Give us a call today to request a free quote and learn more about our total cockroach control services.