Mice and rats are common rodents in Maryland and are some of the most prolific pests when it comes to reproducing, making it crucial to control them before having to deal with a full-blown infestation. If these unsanitary rodents have taken over your property, now is the time to learn the difference between mice and rats, understand why both are dangerous to have in your home, and discover prevention tips that are effective in treating both pests. If you are struggling with a mouse and rat population, Pest Czar provides quality pest control in Annapolis you can rely on to eliminate them for good.
How Mice And Rats Differ In Appearance
Mice and rats are both house rodents, but they differ in appearance in many ways. In general, rats are bigger than mice. This also means that they have larger ears, thicker tails, are often heavier, and their droppings are bigger as well. While rat droppings are over half an inch in length and black, mouse droppings are shiny, smaller, and have pointy ends. Most rats and mice have a similar brown or gray coat, but it is rare for mice to be black. If you see a black rodent, it is most likely a rat. Despite those differences, both animals are dangerous to have in your home for many reasons.
Both Rats And Mice Are Dangerous To Have In Your Home
Rats and mice are dangerous to have in your home for many reasons, including the following:
- They are carriers of dangerous diseases: The list of diseases that rats and mice can transmit to humans is quite long. Having these invaders in your home can expose you to salmonellosis, infectious jaundice, pulmonary fever, the bubonic plague, rat mite dermatitis, and more.
- They can be aggressive: While rats are considered more aggressive than mice as a rule, both can inflict painful and potentially dangerous bites.
- They can cause allergic reactions: Even when they don’t transmit illnesses, they can trigger allergic reactions that can necessitate emergency medical care.
- They can contaminate and destroy food supplies: Rats and mice are attracted to food, and will not only eat up your food supply, but they will contaminate it with feces and bacteria as well.
These are only a few reasons why it is dangerous to have rats and mice in your home. Whether you are trying to avoid an infestation in the first place or want to prevent one from returning, it is important to get educated on the various prevention tips which work equally well for both types of rodents.
Prevention Tips For Mice And Rats Are Very Similar
The following rodent prevention tips work well for both mice and rats:
- Keep your home as clean as possible. Because rodents seek out food sources, it is crucial that you keep your kitchen and dining area clean at all times, as well as any areas where food is being consumed or prepared. You might have to pay attention to older children’s rooms where dishes and wrappers can sometimes be forgotten.
- Seal off entry points. Rats and mice can come into your home through cracks in walls and foundations, but they can also use previous invaders’ entry points. A pest control company can help you identify the many ways through which rodents can invade.
- Use smells that might deter them. While varying in effectiveness, some have found that smells like peppermint, clove, and cinnamon can deter mice and rats. Some strong-smelling plants that repel rodents include garlic, rosemary, and lavender. These should be used in conjunction with treatments and inspection, as they are rarely effective enough on their own.
- Seal off your food supply. If you are in the habit of storing food, make sure it is packed in tightly closed containers that are hard for rodents to get into.
Sometimes the best prevention tips are not enough to keep mice and rats away, but it is still possible to eliminate them with the proper control and treatment methods.
Professional Rodent Control Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Mice Or Rats
If natural prevention tips are not enough to keep mice and rats out of your home, it is probably necessary to seek out professional help. At Pest Czar, we provide quality rodent control in Annapolis, and have successfully cleared many homes of infestations just like yours. Contact us today for a personalized quote and inspection, and put your mouse and rat problem behind you for good.
Mice and rats reproduce extremely quickly, and can learn to avoid the most common treatments. But while they are becoming a persistent problem in many cities, you can get rid of rodents for good with help from a quality, professional pest control company like Pest Czar.