If you’ve owned property in Washington long enough, you most likely have dealt with a mice invasion during the fall and winter. Now that the time has come when temperatures are beginning to drop, mice are beginning to seek shelter in homes around DC. Mice bring an abundance of issues for homeowners to deal with. Take the time now to mitigate fall mice intrusions in Washington so your home stays mice free through the winter.
Problems Caused by Mice
Mice and other rodents can endanger the safety of your family and cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your home. Some of the ways that they can harm you or your property are:
- Mice can carry diseases with them when coming into a home. Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease transmitted to humans by rodents. And mice were the indirect cause of the spread of the plague in Europe during the Middle Ages, which wiped out one-third of the European population.
- Mice bring many other kinds of pests with them into a home such as fleas, ticks, mites, and other parasites.
- Mice can also cause structural damage. Mice will chew on just about anything that they see as useful in building their nests. This could be wood, paper, cloth, books, etc. They also defecate wherever they feel like, which is very unsanitary. Mice can also destroy electrical wiring, potentially causing thousands of dollars in damage.
How Mice Get in and How to Keep Them Out
There are many ways mice get into Washington area homes. Mice can find any crack, crevice, or gap and fit through it. Baby mice can fit through a hole the size of a pencil eraser.
To keep mice out of your house, consider the following tips:
- Seal any open crevices or cracks around the exterior of your home with caulking, screens, or concrete patch.
- Remove open food sources such as pet food, food containers, and trash cans with loose fitting or no lids.
- Keep compost piles, garden debris, and other warm hiding places as far away from the home as possible.
- Call the professionals at Pest Czar
How Pest Czar Can Help
At Pest Czar, our highly skilled pest specialists can identify early warning signs of mice infestations. We offer several residential pest control plans including Czar Guard, Czar Guard Plus, and Czar Guard Basic. This fall let Pest Czar be your partner in protecting your Washington, DC area home from mice. For more information, please contact us today to ask questions or schedule an appointment. We offer same-day appointments to help keep your family protected.